Wednesday, 17 October 2007

I'm back

After I finished two of the books I discussed in my previous post, I decided to take a break from bookbinding (and blogging about it) over the summer. I have started a second bookbinding course, and when I finish the books I had left unfinished from last winter's course, I plan to start learning to make leather bindings. This will call for learning a new method of making covers for books (one that allows raised patterns on the spines and covers), which I am excited about. My grandmother gave me three bags full of bookbinding, craft and clothing leather, so to begin with I will not have to worry about having to buy expensive leather to work with. I did have to order a paring knife, which is on its way in the mail.

I am now in the process of taking apart some books that I will make traditional bindings for, and I plan to make a photo essay about the steps involved. It will not be a detailed tutorial, but will be a way for beginners to become familiar with the process and learn some vocabulary.

Marzanna, if you read this, I'm sorry I never replied to your comment. I didn't want to publish it since your e-mail address was in it. The tutorial you asked about is almost finished and I plan to publish it as soon as it is done.

1 comment:

Connie said...

your books are lovely. let me know when you update your tutorial.
i'm gathering info on making my own books. There are no classes anywhere near where i live!
connie