Friday, 22 February 2008

Blank book

Another blank book I made recently - quarter bound with leather, my very first attempt at using leather in bookbinding. The leather is Arctic wolf-fish skin, dyed black. It has an interesting grain and shape, and so I did not trim the edges to make them straight, but covered the boards first with this interesting paper and then applied the leather to the spine, overlapping the paper to show off the uneven edge to best advantage.

I will probably use it as a journal on my next holiday, or I may give it to someone deserving, to be used as a diary, travel journal, sketch book (although this is not the best kind of binding or paper for that), or recipe book.

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


A woman in my bookbinding group has been covering books with salmon-skin leather, which has an even cooler texture, but when I went to the leather shop to look at skins, the only salmon leather they had didn't have a nice texture, so I didn't buy any.

I did buy some other kinds of leather to use on books: a small pale golden-tan goatskin (morocco), a red-dyed spotted wolffish skin and a lizard skin that I would love to use in one piece to cover the spine of a book. It would have to be a big book, like a photo album or a scrapbook. I also saw some snake skins, but decided not to buy one until I have the right book for it. They also had some cool crocodile skins, but those were unfortunately too lumpy to be used to bind books, but I think a piece of such skin would make a fine embellishment on a book cover (provided the book was not to be stored in a bookcase where it might dent the other books...).

3 comments:

Iris @ Pied Crow Press said...

How funny that you're looking into reptile leathers too! I've been collecting a bunch of scraps for a few weeks now, and thinking of the right book for them. Some have really interesting patterns, but they seem so special that I want to use them on a book that's "just right"... which is hard! :)

I look forward to seeing how you end up using them.

Anonymous said...

It's a bit late to write a comment after more then a year but I would like to know what kind of paper it is. Do you know how it is made? It looks wonderful to me!

Bibliophile said...

Anon, I got this paper from my grandmother and have no idea where it originally came from. It's printed, but here are no factory markings on it. The sheets are ever so slightly larger than sheets of scrapbook paper. A marbling expert could probably reproduce something similar.