Wednesday, 8 July 2009

New cover for the travel journal (updated May 2014)

(Original post)
 
Out with the old...
Photobucket

...and in with the new:
Photobucket



How it was done:
I began by cutting out a piece of paper the size and shape of the area I needed to cover, and arranged clipped images on it until I was happy with it. Then I photographed the layout so I wouldn't forget it. I then ran a dull knife gently under the glued edges of the leather spine where they rested on the boards and gently lifted them about 5 mm and gently pushed them up. Then I set about gluing down the collage. I made the front cover collage on a piece of office paper which I then glued down on the cover, gluing the edges of leather down over the edge of the collage. This was a bit thick and bulky, so I did the back cover collage straight onto the boards.

Finally, as it is difficult, if not impossible, to put gilded lettering on the spine, I made a label from a piece of millboard, wrote the year and the contents of the book on it, and attached it to the exposed stitching with bookbinding thread. In the future, I may replace this thick label with a thin one that can be tucked into the book like a bookmark.

The collages:
The images I used all came from tourism leaflets and brochures. The front cover images all relate to the northern part of Iceland, and the back cover images to southern Iceland.

4 comments:

Margaret said...

This looks awesome!! Great job!

Bibliophile said...

Thank you, Margaret.

EB said...

It looks wonderful, I agree. My concern would be that the glued images might start to lift off after time. Considering your standard of work I'm guessing that this won't happen, but I wonder why not - is it because the glue is very strong, or because the book will have a fairly static life with little abrasion?

Bibliophile said...

EB, this is an already finished travel journal. All it's ever going to do is sit on the shelf and get taken down every now and then for reading or checking facts.

If I was going to do a collage for a blank, yet to be used travel journal, I would cover it in a couple of layers of Mod
Podge or a similar sealer, and then use a fabric cover while it was in use.